Medication therapy is often the first line of treatment for men experiencing erectile dysfunction. There are a number of popular oral medications on the market to treat the symptoms of erectile dysfunction. You may be familiar with Viagra, Cialis, Staxyn and Levitra, common prescription drugs that work by increasing the blood flow into the penis so that a man can become aroused and erect when sexually stimulated.
These medications are taken 30 to 60 minutes before sex and can allow both partners to enjoy more spontaneity in their sexual activity.
- Easy to use
- Feels natural
- No surgery or injections are involved
- Allows for more spontaneity in sexual activity
- May take 30-60 minutes to become effective
- Can be costly
- Cannot be used more than once a day
- Produces an erection only after physical or psychological stimulation
- May not be advised by your physician if you take certain medications for heart conditions
While side effects are uncommon, they can include:
- Upset stomach
- Feeling flushed
- Nasal congestion
- Vision disturbances
- Prolonged erections
When taking oral medications for ED, use only as directed by your physician.