About Penile Prostheses
A penile prosthesis is a medical device that requires surgery to implant inside a man's penis. A viable option when other ED treatment modalities have not been successful or produce unpleasant side effects, penile prostheses, or implants, have been in use for more than 30 years. New designs and surgical techniques utilized by Chesapeake Urology surgeons have improved the safety and efficacy of penile implant surgery over the years.
More than 300,000 men have benefited from penile implants, returning to an active and satisfying sex life for themselves, and their partners. Overall patient satisfaction is reportedly high with penile prosthesis, with more than 90% of patients satisfied with the outcomes as compared with 50% of patients satisfied with oral medications. Many patients have reported that the treatment was life changing and restored the intimacy back into their life and relationships.
The Expertise Needed for Success
Chesapeake Urology surgeons are on the leading-edge of the most advanced surgical techniques and technology and perform more than 1,500 penile prosthetic implant surgeries a year. It is this high level of experience that provides our patients with the most successful outcomes. The implant surgery is typically done in an outpatient surgical center or in a hospital by one of our highly-trained microsurgeons. Surgery typically takes one hour under general anesthesia and patients whose surgery is performed in a hospital will usually stay overnight. The recovery period is typically six to eight weeks and patients can resume physical as well as sexual activity at this point.
Could a penile prosthesis work for you?
Penile Prosthesis - Working with your Chesapeake Urology Physician
Your urologist understands that choosing a penile implant is a very personal decision and will discuss with you all of your options to ensure you receive the prosthetic device that is just right for you. Because each type of prosthesis offers unique features, you and your physician will discuss the benefits and risks of the implant, and work together to determine the option that best fits with your personal preferences.
Benefits of Penile Prostheses
- Provides a long term solution to ED
- Provides the ability to attain a natural feeling, rigid erection anytime you choose
- Allows for more spontaneity when the mood strikes
- Enables you to maintain an erection as long as desired
- No costly pills or shots
- Feels natural during sexual intercourse
- Doesn't interfere with ejaculation or orgasm
- Surgery carries risk of infection; if infection occurs, the prosthesis may need to be removed
- Can result in a slightly shorter penis
- If the implant is removed for any reason, attaining a natural erection will be impossible, even with ED medications or by other means.
- Mechanical parts may fail